Students share advice for incoming freshmen

[media-credit id=36 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]As much as some upperclassmen might enjoy making fun of incoming freshmen, many of them remember trying to figure out how to survive in the university world. Students from differing programs and stages of their education shared their advice for new students at Weber State University.

Jasmine Ioane, a sociology major, said she would encourage students to get out and know their new environment. She also said students should try to meet new people.

“You should study, but don’t try and lock yourself up,” Ioane said.

Ioane said she had to adjust from high school to university life.

“Being on my own was kind of a hard adjustment at first, but I liked it after a while,” Ioane said.

Benjamin Rozick is a sophomore studying computer science. He said he thinks clubs are probably the best way to meet new people, because making friends in class can be difficult.

“Basically, you want to get involved and meet people,” Rozick said. “That’s what you really, really want to do. That really helps enhance your experience here. It really goes for any college anywhere.”

Rozick said his transition to WSU from high school was facilitated by the university’s smaller class sizes. He said since there aren’t as many auditorium-sized classes, the classes can have a familiar high-school feeling.

Amy Webb, a student currently working on her general education requirements, also suggested clubs and organizations.

“Get active with the different groups, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and have the time of your life — this is when it all starts,” Webb said.

Webb is a mother of three. Two of her children will attend college this year. She said her transition to university life was difficult because she spent 18 years out of school. She said the Nontraditional Student Center is a great resource for older students or students with children.

Webb said she is considering studying gerontology after she finishes her generals.

James Saunders, who is working toward a double major in physics and engineering, said that while students are at WSU to learn, they’re also at WSU to have an enjoyable experience.

“Just have fun, loosen up,” Saunders said. “Enjoy college.”

Saunders said getting into the routine of a study schedule was the biggest change he had to make from high school. He said there isn’t really a trick to it, but that healthy university habits are based in self-discipline. He also said he encourages students not to eat out every week.

Ben Oborn is a sophomore working on his general education requirements. He said he plans on studying mechanical engineering.

Oborn said he studied hard in high school, so the transition to WSU wasn’t difficult for him. He said he recommends not stressing out in the first semester.

“Work hard, for sure,” Oborn said. “Be diligent, but just chill. It’s college. It’s not the end of the world if you get a bad grade. Just keep on plugging at it. You’ll get there.”

KaeLee Crosby, a senior this year majoring in social work with a minor in child and family studies, said her advice in one word.

“Breathe,” Crosby said.

She expounded by saying college isn’t as hard as it seems. She said once students get into the swing of things, university life is a lot smoother than is sometimes anticipated.

Crosby said she feels college has been easier than high school for her because she has more control.

“I think because you are kind of a little more at your own mercy, it’s up to you to get the homework done,” Crosby said. “It’s up to you to do the reading. It’s up to you when to take what classes, you know. You kind of have a lot more choices.”

Crosby also said she encourages students to attend the basketball and football games.