Softball gets first-ever series win over Seattle

[media-credit id=13 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Weber State University softball team got its first ever series win against University of Seattle over the weekend with three wins and only one loss with scores of 5-4 (W), 19-0 (L), 10-6 (W) and 8-2 (W).

“All three aspects of the game really came together for us,” said Lyndsey Minnich,  senior third baseman. “Even when things weren’t going our way, we stuck with it and got three wins.”

Head Coach Tina Johnson said the athletes played well together as a team and came through.

“Overall team effort from everybody is a great effort,” Johnson said. “Everyone is working really well as a team, and that’s what’s big. It’s just great teamwork.”

The first game Friday was delayed to 3:30 because of the snowstorm that struck Ogden early Friday morning.

In the first game Friday, the Wildcats beat the Redhawks 5-4. The Wildcats jumped out to an early 4-1 lead but the Redhawks battled back in the top of the seventh inning to tie the game at 4. WSU quickly loaded the bases and Brooke Silva hit a single to center field to score one run to end the game with the final score of 5-4.

Senior Sarah Clark controlled the mound for the Wildcats. She pitched the full seven innings and had six strikeouts. The Wildcats had three errors and U of S had two. WSU also had 10 hits to U of S’s seven.

Silva finished the day 3-for-4 at the plate with two RBI, while Minnich went 3-for-3 with a solo shot home run, her 14th of the season, in the third inning. Janel Cunnigham also went hard in the first inning.

“I was very proud of the way the players responded,” Johnson said. “They showed a lot of poise and they didn’t get rattled. I felt like we showed some mental toughness.”

The second game started shortly after the first ended, but only two full innings were played because of the earlier delay and the loss of daylight. WSU lost the second game 19-0. In the first two innings of play, the Wildcats fell to a dramatic 13-0 deficit. U of S scored 11 runs in the first inning.

The game resumed Saturday morning, and WSU allowed seven more runs before the game ended in the fifth inning. WSU only had three hits while U of S had 11. WSU also had two errors.

The Wildcats were able to shake off the loss by going back and winning the next two in the series. In the third game, WSU fell behind quickly, 5-0. The team countered that in the fourth inning when WSU scored eight runs. It then went on to further that deficit to a final score of 10-6. WSU ended the game with 12 hits, including a home run by Cunningham and two errors.

“After the pitching struggles we had, I was proud that the girls came out and showed how good they could pitch,” Minnich said.

WSU carried the momentum over to the fourth game and won 8-2. WSU started the game by jumping to an early 4-1 lead. Both Minnich and Kourtney Law added big home runs for the Wildcats. The Wildcats had a total of 13 hits.

“We clutched up when runners were in scoring positions and huge hits,” said Erika Dixon, center fielder. “We had huge home runs. We found the side of plate we wanted and crushed the ball.”

WSU next plays Wednesday against Utah State University in Logan, Utah. The next home series will be Friday and Saturday against Idaho State University.