Women's tennis falls to Seattle

The Weber State University women’s tennis team lost by one point, falling 4-3 against Seattle University last week.  The matches were held at the Ogden Athletic Club.

The Redhawks won all three doubles matches, which proved to be the deciding point after the two teams split the six singles matches. The Wildcats came up just shy in two of the three matches, falling 8-6 at both the No. 1 and No. 3 spots.

“I think we saw improvement since the last time we played them; we saw a lot more fight which is good,” said senior Brittiny Moore. “I think if we put more confidence in ourselves, we would have beat them. We need a quicker start and confidence, and we would have had the doubles point, which could have changed the outcome of singles.”’

She said she thinks the team did not play as confident as it needed to.

“It was a good performance, but not a confident one,” Moore said. “I think if we put more attitudes into the way we play, we would see a huge difference.”

Moore, Ashley Tanner and Annika Karlsen each won in singles for the ’Cats. Moore took down Alexandra Farrar 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 1 match, and Karlsen defeated Anna Lambert 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 match. Tanner had to go three sets to get her point, downing Katrina Schwab 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 in the No. 2 match.

“I dislike that we lost and the fact we do not start as quickly as we need to in doubles. I think doubles is going to be the key to us winning the rest of our matches,” Moore said.  “If we get this perfected, then we will see different results. I did like the fact we did encourage each other well.”

Moore said that teammate Annika Karlsen said motivating words before the match.

“She (Karlsen) said, ‘Chickens don’t win they get eaten.’ I liked that quote and feel like if we play like that we could win,” Moore said.

Karlsen won her first single win of the season that day with SU.

“I personally played amazing,” Karlsen said. “If I continue that way, I could win the majority of the matches left.”

WSU fell to 0-12 on the season with the loss while Seattle moved to .500 on the year at 8-8.

“SU fought hard for the win and showed themselves that they are a tough team for sure,” Moore said.

The Wildcats will again look to get into the win column on Sunday as they host Northern Colorado in a Big Sky match at 9:00 a.m.

“I am proud of my team. I think we have a lot of potential to do some damage in the Big Sky,” Moore said.