Senate to vote on mustache March

A resolution was brought to the Weber State University Student Senate on Monday regarding Mustache March.

If the resolution is passed, then the senate will observe Mustache March as “the most wonderful month of the year.”

“President Neville and Brady Harris (Davis campus senator) were talking about the importance of Mustache March, and that students need to take an official stance on whether they support it or not,” said co-sponsor Andrew Gardiner, the senator of business and economics.

Harris was the sponsor of the resolution, and Shalie Barnes, the social and behavioral science senator, was also a co-sponsor.

“There is so much controversy surrounding Mustache March that we as representatives of the student body of Weber State University need to take a stand on this one way or the other,” said senate president Justin Neville. “I think that in order to have the most scientific result possible, a resolution is going to be a means to that end.”

Mustache March first started in the U.S. Air Force. Some members would grow mustaches in March out of protest against the facial hair regulations. Now, many men grow mustaches starting the first of March and shave it once April begins.

“This is an opportunity for men to grow their mustaches without fear of persecution,” Neville said. “Assert your manhood, assert your manliness, your maturity, your refinement.”

Neville has participated in Mustache March before, and Gardiner is thinking about growing a mustache as well.

“Some that are maybe thinking whether I should or should not grow a mustache, maybe after they read the resolution, they’re more inclined to take the initiative and grow the mustache,” Gardiner said.

The resolution will be voted on during the senate meeting on March 19, and students can come in and argue their side. Men and women are both welcome to come and voice their opinions. Once all the opinions have been heard, the senators will take a vote on the resolution.

“For those of us who think mustaches are disgusting, we need to be able to get people to come in and have our back, so this is not passed,” Barber said.

Some of the candidates who are running in the senate elections this week were there to observe a senate meeting. Gardiner said that despite the topic of the resolution, it was good training for the candidates to be able to see how a resolution gets passed or denied.

During Mustache March, the bookstore display case has mirrors with different types of mustaches on them, including the Gentlemen and the Fire Marshall mustaches. The first 75 people to take a picture of themselves in the mirrors and post it on the WSU bookstore Facebook page will receive a free bendable mustache.

“(It’s important) just to recognize the ability and maturity level of those who are able to grow a mustache,” Gardiner said. “I think it’s important to know what our senate’s views on the whole Mustache March are and that we support it. We welcome mustaches during the month of March, and I think it’s a great thing to do.”