Weber State loses final game to Montana State

[media-credit id=13 align=”alignright” width=”200″][/media-credit]The Weber State University women’s basketball team saw its season come to a close on Saturday afternoon, as it lost to the visiting Montana State University Bobcats 84-55 on Senior Night.

MSU scored the first points of the game and took a 2-0 lead, but WSU turned around and scored three consecutive 3-point baskets to make it 9-2 five minutes into the game.

MSU and WSU kept the score close throughout the first half, as the score was tied twice and there were six lead changes. Despite the Wildcats outshooting the Bobcats for the majority of the half, WSU went into the locker rooms at halftime trailing by three.

At the start of the second half, WSU began to have trouble with its shooting, as the Wildcats were only able to make one shot out of 16 attempts over the first eight minutes of the half.

MSU took advantage of the Wildcats’ slump and took a 15-point lead over WSU. Late in the game, WSU began to chip away at MSU’s lead, but the Bobcats managed to stave off the Wildcats, as WSU lost 84-55.

With the loss to MSU, WSU became the first women’s basketball team to go a season without a conference win since the Sacramento State University Hornets during the 2001-02 season.

Seniors Caela Mohre and Mikell Woodfield both had strong performances in their final game for WSU. Mohre finished the game with 11 points, seven rebounds and a team-high four assists. After the game, Mohre was upbeat despite the loss, saying that even when the team was down, they were still having fun.

“We had fun. We had energy,” Mohre said. “It was a good game to go out on.”

Woodfield finished her career on a high note, scoring 10 points and pulling down 10 rebounds for her fifth career double-double. She said the team struggled in the second half and couldn’t bounce back.

“We fought hard; we just couldn’t get it done in the second half.”

Despite the loss, Woodfield was still positive, saying she was very proud of the team.

Juniors Megan Patterson and Amanda Hughes also had good performances despite the loss. Patterson finished with a game-high 17 points while making five 3-point baskets. Hughes pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds, while also scoring seven points, making three steals and a team-high two blocks before fouling out of the game.

Head Coach Bethann Ord said after the game that the team played well even though it was short-handed. The team only had six players who were able to play on Saturday; the rest of the team was sidelined due to injuries or illness.

“It’s tough,” Ord said. “But that’s basketball.”

Looking forward to next year, Ord talked about getting the team healthy and spoke about the new freshmen joining the team. She said she hoped, with the team healthy and the new players, the team would be able to go back to its game plan from early in the season, before injuries struck, of playing a fast-paced, up-tempo game.

Sophomore Jordan Pfau said she felt the team improved with every game this season, and that it will continue to improve over the summer.

“We’ll continue to work hard in the gym,” Pfau said, “and hopefully we’ll have a better season next year.”