Softball goes 1-2 in Cedar City

The season is heating up for the Weber State University softball team. The team recently won its second game of the season and is now preparing for the Troy Cox Classic in New Mexico.

The Wildcats split a doubleheader against the Southern Utah University Thunderbirds on Saturday afternoon and came up two runs short in the finale on Sunday.

In a three-game weekend against the Thunderbirds, the Wildcats came out and earned a 6-3 victory in the first game, but later fell in the second game, 4-13.

Senior Lyndsey Minnich had five RBIs on two hits during the two games, including a seventh-inning home run in the first game. Freshman Janel Cunningham had a solo home run and two hits in the first game also. The Wildcats finished the day with 16 hits and only one error.

“Lyndsey played extremely well in the whole tournament,” said senior Sarah Clark. “She really helped us get on the board during all the games.”

Cunningham and Ashley Huddleston each recorded multiple hits in the game. Clark picked up her third win of the season, making sure she hit the mark with her pitches and felt comfortable on the mound.

“We played really well in the first game,” Clark said. “I feel like I did my job and hit my spots. It felt really good to pick up that first win.”

In the second game, SUU exploded early and stormed out to a 12-0 lead after two innings. The Wildcats scored twice in the third and twice in the fifth, but were unable to come back from the deficit.

“Janel fulfilled a big role,” said senior Erika Dixon. “She is playing very well behind the plate and has come through big for us as a freshman. She has worked really hard and is an important member of our team.”

Dixon and Symbree Minniear each recorded two hits in the game, with Dixon and Brooke Silva each recording a double. Although the Wildcats didn’t come out of the tournament the way they expected, they kept their heads up.

“We definitely didn’t come out the way that we wanted,” Dixon said. “We found ways to get on base and to stay close, but we didn’t come away with the win, but we learned a lot about their team.”

The win and loss put the Wildcats at 4-8 for the season, with still one more game to play against the Thunderbirds.

The final matchup between the two in-state rivals took place on Sunday, when the Wildcats came up two runs short.

Dixon said she felt the team batted well and did a good job of advancing base-runners.

“As the lead-off, it is crucial that I get on base,” Dixon said. “The other girls did a good job of moving me around the bases.”

The Wildcats had 11 hits, while Dixon went 3-of-4 with three RBIs, and Minnich hit a three-run home run over the left field fence as they tried to rally in the seventh inning.

The Wildcats will return to action on Friday at the Colorado State Classic in Fort Collins, Colo., where they will face the University of Northern Iowa, St. Mary’s College and the host Rams for the five-game, three-day tournament.

“This coming weekend will be a great tournament for us,” Dixon said. “We are focused on taking care of our pitching, hitting and defense so that we are ready to show the other teams that we can compete.”