Wildcats Lose Close Game to Northern Colorado

Weber State University hosted the University of Northern Colorado Bears in search of its first conference win of the season last week. The Wildcats came up short, falling 62-54.

The Bears scored first on a layup from junior forward Lauren Oosdyke, but the Wildcats quickly responded and took an 8-4 lead four minutes into the game.

WSU was able to hold onto the lead for the majority of the half, but UNC held the score close, only trailing by single digits throughout the half. WSU managed to extend its lead to seven points with five minutes remaining, but UNC battled back to tie the game at 29-29 going into halftime.

The Wildcats came out hot to start the second half, taking the lead and maintaining it over the first seven minutes.

UNC fought back hard and took the lead 44-40 for its first lead in almost 13 minutes. WSU managed to regain the lead but was unable to extend its lead beyond four points.

The Bears came from behind once again to steal the lead with five and a half minutes remaining and continued to hold the lead, defeating WSU 62-54.

With the loss to UNC, WSU dropped to 2-26 for the season and 0-15 in conference play, extending its losing streak to 18 games.

Despite outshooting UNC from the field, the Bears’ 27 attempts from the free throw line were too much for WSU.

After the game, Head Coach Bethann Ord said that allowing the Bears to score 20 points from free throws really hurt WSU. Coach Ord also stated that the team’s 21 turnovers were also a big problem that needed to be fixed.

Senior Caela Mohre said after the game that the team played well but suffered from a couple of mental lapses.

“Basketball is a game of runs,” Mohre said. “UNC had some good runs against us, and we didn’t answer the way that we would have liked to. But we’re going to bounce back for the next game.”

Seniors Mohre and Mikell Woodfield combined for 25 points and 10 rebounds in their second-to-last game of their careers.

Ord praised her senior’s performances and said she felt lucky to have been able to coach them.

“I’m really proud of Mikell and Caela. They’ve given their heart and soul to the program, and I wish I could coach them for another year.”

Junior Amanda Hughes pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds to go along with eight points. Freshman Alexandra Troy played in a season-high 15 minutes, scoring three points and seven rebounds.

Coach Ord said that she was proud of how the team performed, saying that it did a great job on defense and that it battled hard despite nagging injuries affecting the team.

The Wildcats’ next game will be on Saturday when WSU hosts the Montana State University Bobcats in its final game of the season.

Saturday will also be the final game for the team’s three seniors Mohre, Woodfield and Karlee Weight. Mohre said that she felt confident that the Wildcats would win their game, but the game would be bittersweet for her.

“It’s going to be my last game playing here with these girls and these fans,” Mohre said. “But I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be exciting.”