InterVarsity hosts February Fury

Weber State University’s InterVarsity Christian Fellowship welcomed in the month of February on Friday night with February Fury in the Shepherd Union Building.

Residence Life and Social and Behavioral Sciences co-sponsored the party with InterVarsity. From 8-11:30 p.m., students  joined InterVarsity for dancing in the Atrium and for a Just Dance and Guitar Hero World Tour tournament in the Lair.

Melissa Lanting, a student leader for InterVarsity, estimated about 130 people to have attended. She said InterVarsity planned the party to raise awareness of the organization, an interdenominational Christian faith group that meets at 8 p.m. on Thursdays in the Wildcat Theater and holds Bible study on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

“We’re just really trying to plug students in, get them to a community of people who just want to love on students and build friendships that last forever,” Lanting said. “. . . We’re doing this event just to basically reach out, and we want more people to know that we’re here on campus. We want more people to know who we are and we want more people to come and experience what the community is that we have here. So we just throw parties to let everyone know that we’re here.”

Megan Gour, a junior in psychology at WSU and another student leader for InterVarsity, oversaw the Just Dance tournament, in which she said about 30 students competed. Participants danced or jammed to music ranging from 30 Seconds to Mars to “The Monster Mash.”

“I think we’ve had a good turnout,” Gour said. “People are really excited to compete.”

Though Just Dance was mostly played by women and the Guitar Hero competition was dominated by men, Gour said they had “some guys make it pretty far on Just Dance — you know, they could shake their hips pretty well.”

Winners were awarded gift cards, including cards for iTunes, Starbucks and Jamba Juice. The winning band in the Guitar Hero tournament won a $25 gift card to T.G.I. Friday’s.

“This is actually the first thing I’ve ever won, so it’s like, heck yeah,” said WSU freshman Mike Clements from the winning “band” SYGU, which stands for “Step Up Your Game.” “Out of all the things for me to win . . . you can ask any of my friends, I suck at that game.”

Drawings were also held throughout the party for prizes, including free WSU bowling passes and an iPod.

Gour said InterVarsity tries to host at least one big event each semester to promote the organization. They also hosted a Super Bowl party for students on Sunday.

“It’s just an organization that’s open to anyone and everyone that wants to come.”