WSU sets eyes on National Title

After defeating the Idaho State Bengals Saturday evening and claiming a share of the Big Sky title for the second straight year the Weber State University football team grabbed a historic No. 2 seed for the 2018/19 FCS Playoffs.

Weber State players and coaches met early Sunday morning in the Wildcat Theater awaiting their fate in their third straight playoff appearance.

After the win over ISU, Weber State boarded the bus back to Ogden expecting to be a No.2 or No. 3 seed.

Shortly after 10:30 a.m. the Wildcat Theater bursted into loud cheers when the FCS Selection Show and Committee announced that the Wildcats were the second seed just behind the reigning champions the North Dakota State Bisons.

Weber State will have a first round bye and will await the winner of the Southeast Missouri State (8-3) and Stony Brook (7-4). The second round playoff game will be played at Stewart Stadium likely on Saturday Dec. 1.

“We are super excited to get back to the playoffs for the third-straight year and we hope to get better and better each time we go,” head coach Jay Hill said. “It’s a huge deal to get the two seed and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, now we just have to take care of business.”

The ’Cats could potentially host three home playoff games on Saturday, Dec. 1, the quarterfinals on Saturday, Dec. 8 and the semifinals on Saturday, Dec. 15.

North Dakota State is again the favorite with the FPI favoring them against the field at 59 percent to win the National Championship on Saturday, Jan. 5 in Frisco, Texas.

522376BB-38EE-437A-BA25-C4F36D0F0D6E.jpeg
Wildcats pose with the Big Sky trophy, having won the division title. (Joshua Wineholt / The Signpost)